Frequently Asked Questions
Who can apply?
- Any Millard student who will be entering his or her junior year in 2017-18.
- If space is available 2017-18 seniors will be accepted into Year 1 Academies.
How do I apply?
- Through an application process.
- Fill out a PDF Application from the website.
- Applications will be accepted through December 16, 2016.
- Interviews will be January 24 - January 26, 2017.
- Notification letters will be sent February 3, 2017.
What is the time commitment in an academy?
- Each academy meets one-half of each day for two consecutive school years either in the morning or in the afternoon.
Do students provide their own transportation?
- Transportation will be available between the student’s school and the academy school.
- Student will drive his or her personal vehicle to internships.
What is dual enrollment credit?
- Students will earn 40 credits per year toward high school graduation with the option to earn college credit at Metropolitan Community College (MCC) and University of Nebraska Omaha (UNO).
- Available on the website.
What if I want to go to somewhere other than Metro or UNO?
- Transfer agreements exist between many colleges and universities. Check the transfer policies for your specific college or university.
Should I participate in the academies if I don’t plan to go to college?
- Yes! Participation in the academies will enhance your employment opportunities within your career field.
Is there a cost to participate in the academy?
- There is no cost to earn Millard credit; students who elect to earn dual enrollment credit will pay tuition to MCC and UNO at a reduced rate.
- Scholarships may be available through the support of the Millard Public Schools Foundation.
How many students will participate in each academy?
- Class size and number of sections will be determined based on registration.
Who are the academy teachers?
- Millard Public School teachers approved by MCC and UNO.
Where and when will I eat lunch?
- Students will eat lunch at their assigned school or at the academy school. Lunch location will be determined by the transportation schedule.
Can I participate in extra-curricular activities or athletics at my current school?
- Yes! You are encouraged to stay involved in activities or athletics in your assigned school.
What are my options if I discover the academy is not for me?
- Application to the academy should be considered a two-year commitment. However, if your career goals change, notify the academy teacher and your counselor.
Do I have to take all classes assigned within the academy?
Are academy classes included in my GPA?
- Yes, they will be included on your Millard transcript.
- If students chose to earn dual enrollment credit, a college transcript will be established.
Will I be eligible for a Specialty Diploma?
- Yes, if you complete the 2-year program, you will be eligible for a Specialty Distinguished Diploma.
If I plan to participate in an academy, what classes do I take at my assigned school?
- You will need to refer to your credit count record and consult with your advisor or counselor to create a 4-year plan to fulfill your graduation requirements while also meeting the set criteria within the academy.
How can I get more information about the academies?
- See your advisor, guidance counselor or academy lead teacher.